Membership in the Association for Laboratory Phonology confers a number of benefits and services, including the following.
- Conference subsidies: ALP members are eligible for the reduced member rates for LabPhon conference registration (each 2 year membership includes the reduced rate for one LabPhon conference registration).
- Executive Committee: All ALP members are eligible to vote in elections. Full and honorary members are eligible to stand for election to the Executive Committee.
- Standing Committees: ALP members can serve on standing committees.
- Member database: ALP members have access to the Association's database of members.
All rates are in US dollars.
In May 2020 the Executive Committee voted to offer reduced membership rates to residents of most countries, while maintaining the current membership rates for residents of relatively wealthy countries. In January 2022 the Executive further voted to offer a fee waiver to students in List 1 countries who do not have external financial support for membership or conference fees.
For residents of countries and places in List 1 below
- Full Membership is $210 for two years
- There is a multiyear discount: $600 for 6 years and $1200 for 12 years
- Student Membership is $80 for two years*
* Students from List 1 countries without access to financial support for membership or conference registration fees from their university, department, advisor or other external funding source may request a fee waiver.
For residents of countries in List 2 below
- Full Membership is $40 for two years
- Student Membership is free
- Anyone can choose to pay the rates for List 1 countries if they are able to
- Additionally, students from countries in List 2 who study in places in List 1 may request to have their membership fee waived, if they show that their home country better captures their ability to pay (e.g., if they receive no financial aid where they go to school).
The vast majority of our membership income is used to support our open access journal Laboratory Phonology, which is free to both authors and readers. The rest of our membership income supports the association's website, student conference travel, and other activities of the association.
List 1 includes the following countries and places and their possessions and territories:
Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holy See, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Palau, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay
List 2 includes the following countries, excluding special regions included in List 1
AFRICA: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Republic of the Congo, The Democratic Republic of the Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe
ASIA: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China (excluding Hong Kong), Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
EUROPE: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Moldova, North Macedonia, Serbia, Ukraine
NORTH AMERICA: Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago
SOUTH AMERICA: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Venezuela
OCEANIA: Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu
Join the Association for Laboratory Phonology
... or renew your membership: Note that current members may renew via the links provided below, if they are logged in. However, they may find it easier to renew via a personalised link that will be sent with the automatic reminder that their subscription is due.
For full memberships (i.e. if you are not a student), please join on-line via this full member link.
If you intend to join/renew as a student member, please note that you will initially be asked to give contact details for your advisor/supervisor, who will then be automatically contacted by email to provide confirmation of your student status before your student membership application can proceed. If you wish to apply for a fee waiver, you should do this as part of the same process. Student members should start this process via this student member link. Once the Association has received confirmation from your advisor you will be sent a link for completing the membership process.
From 2016, memberships are valid for two years from the date on which membership dues are paid. When your membership approaches expiry you will receive an email to your registered email address with instructions on how to renew.
Note that if you choose to renew in advance of expiry (e.g. to ensure that your membership is current for a forthcoming Laboratory Phonology conference so that you can get member-level fees), then you can do so, and your membership will extend to two years beyond the current expiry date.
Member only page
If you are a member, make sure you have logged in using the login link in the footer, then click on this link to access the member-only pages.