Visa information

LabPhon17 is going 100% virtual. Therefore, the information on this page is now out-of-date!

Please note that everyone visiting Canada must have authorization. If you are a Canadian citizen, Canadian permanent resident, or US citizen, then you are likely already authorized (though you should probably check your status here: Otherwise, you must have a visa or an eTA as described below.

Visa Applications for International Delegates

Any citizens of countries listed on the CIC website below require a visa to enter Canada and attend a conference. 

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed. Don’t wait until the last minute – apply NOW for an eTA.

Reminder: You do not need an eTA if you are a Canadian Citizen or Canadian permanent resident or if you are a US citizen. (However, lawful US permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA if travelling by air)

Letters of invitation

A letter of invitation is issued solely for the purpose of assisting participants with visa applications and/or to obtain funding for their attendance at the conference. Such a letter does not imply any financial obligation on the part of the conference organizers. If you require a letter of invitation, please contact the LabPhon 17 Organizing Committee at as soon as possible; such letters will not be sent automatically. Please note that your registration must be complete and paid in full before an invitation letter will be issued.

Important Note: If you are travelling to Canada via the United States, you may also need to apply for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) or a visa to transit through the US. You can find more information here: