Please note that everyone visiting Canada must have authorization. If you are a Canadian citizen, Canadian permanent resident, or US citizen, then you are likely already authorized (though you should probably check your status here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/visit-visiter/en/visas). Otherwise, you must have a visa or an eTA as described below.
Visa Applications for International Delegates
Any citizens of countries listed on the CIC website below require a visa to enter Canada and attend a conference.
- Countries requiring a visa: https://www.cic.gc.ca/visit-visiter/en/visas
- How to apply for a visa: www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/business.asp
- Video showing how to apply for “Temporary Resident Visa” – www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/multimedia/video/complete-application/complete-application.asp
- Processing Times – http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/visitors.asp
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed. Don’t wait until the last minute – apply NOW for an eTA.
Reminder: You do not need an eTA if you are a Canadian Citizen or Canadian permanent resident or if you are a US citizen. (However, lawful US permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA if travelling by air)
- Find out if you need an eTA: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp
- What you need to know video: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/video/electronic-travel-authorization-what-you-need-know.html
- Learn about eTAs: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-facts-en.asp
- Apply on-line for your eTA: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start.asp
Letters of invitation
A letter of invitation is issued solely for the purpose of assisting participants with visa applications and/or to obtain funding for their attendance at the conference. Such a letter does not imply any financial obligation on the part of the conference organizers. If you require a letter of invitation, please contact the LabPhon 17 Organizing Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible; such letters will not be sent automatically. Please note that your registration must be complete and paid in full before an invitation letter will be issued.
Important Note: If you are travelling to Canada via the United States, you may also need to apply for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) or a visa to transit through the US. You can find more information here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/other-visa-categories/transit.html